Rochester, New York, is a beautiful city located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario. However, this picturesque city is not just home to humans, but also to a variety of wildlife species. While these creatures may add to the charm of the city, they can also pose a danger to your property and your loved ones. From raccoons and squirrels to bats and birds, Rochester wildlife can cause extensive damage to your home and garden, as well as carry dangerous diseases.
That’s why it’s important to understand how to keep your property safe and critter-free. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Rochester wildlife control, from identifying common pests to preventing infestations and removing animals humanely.
Identifying Common Rochester Wildlife:
Before you can effectively control Rochester wildlife on your property, you need to know what species you’re dealing with. Here are some of the most common wildlife pests in the area:
- Raccoons: These nocturnal creatures are notorious for knocking over trash cans and stealing pet food. They can also carry rabies and other diseases, making them a potential health hazard.
- Squirrels: While squirrels may seem harmless, they can cause extensive damage to your property by chewing on electrical wires and nesting in your attic.
- Bats: Bats are important for pollination and insect control, but they can also carry rabies and other diseases. They often roost in attics and other dark, secluded areas.
- Birds: While birds are a beautiful sight to behold, they can cause damage to your property by building nests in your gutters and chimneys. They can also carry diseases like histoplasmosis.
Preventing Wildlife Infestations:
The best way to control Rochester wildlife is to prevent infestations in the first place. Here are some tips to keep pests away from your property:
- Secure your trash cans: Use lids that snap tightly and store trash cans in a secure location, like a shed or garage.
- Keep pet food inside: Don’t leave pet food outside, as it can attract wildlife to your property.
- Seal entry points: Use caulk or weatherstripping to seal up any cracks or holes in your home’s exterior that pests can use to get inside.
- Keep your yard tidy: Clear away any debris or clutter in your yard that can provide shelter for wildlife.
Humane Wildlife Removal:
If you do end up with a wildlife infestation on your property, it’s important to remove the animals humanely. Here are some steps to take:
- Identify the animal: Before attempting to remove the animal, make sure you know what species you’re dealing with. Some species, like bats, are protected by law and require special removal techniques.
- Contact a professional: Unless you have experience with wildlife removal, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Look for a licensed wildlife control company in Rochester that uses humane trapping and relocation methods.
- Seal entry points: Once the animals have been removed, seal up any entry points to prevent future infestations.
Controlling Rochester wildlife is an important part of protecting your property and your loved ones. By following these tips for prevention and humane removal, you can ensure that your home remains critter-free and safe. Remember to always seek professional help if you’re unsure about how to handle a wildlife infestation. Contact us for a free estimate!